Head of our Payroll Team, Alan Simpson asks employers if their payroll is properly geared up for auto enrolment, with guidance on what JRW can do to help.
As an employer, you will be very aware that if you employ at least one member of staff, then you have legal duties, including enrolling those who are eligible into a workplace pension scheme and contributing towards it. This is called ‘automatic enrolment’ because it is automatic for staff, they don’t have to do anything to be enrolled into a pension scheme, but it is certainly not automatic for employers. All employers, by law, must work out if automatic enrolment applies to them.
We have now advised all our employer clients about their auto enrolment duties and whilst legal responsibility for automatic enrolment does lie with you as an employer, we can also offer a full auto enrolment service on your behalf if required too. From 1st October 2017, if you become an employer for the first time, automatic enrolment duties apply from the day that your new member of staff started working for you.
Payroll ready for auto enrolment
One particular aspect that many of our employers find extremely useful is making sure that their payroll process works with automatic enrolment. This will ensure that you are ready to pay contributions into a pension scheme and enable you to send data to your pension provider on a regular basis, it will also help you to enrol staff as soon as they become eligible.
If you have existing payroll software, we can help you in the following ways:
• We can check that your payroll software is designed to carry out all the automatic enrolment tasks to help you to meet your ongoing automatic enrolment duties.
• If it isn’t designed to carry out all the automatic enrolment tasks, you should consider updating your software and we can provide recommendations for compatible software.
We can also make sure that:
• Your payroll software or process will work with your pension scheme to allow easy transfer of data between the two.
• If someone else manages your payroll, we can ask them to check and confirm that the payroll software or process will work with the pension scheme for you.
• We will make sure that you understand what tax relief method your pension scheme uses and ensure that the correct method is input into the payroll software.
Auto enrolment is here to stay but as you will see help is at hand, let us take the strain away from you and let you get on with running and growing your business.
Or do you just need help with your Payroll more generally?
Regardless of your new auto enrolment duties, Payroll is complicated and must be done on time and you as the employer are responsible for any mistakes.
Help is at hand; our dedicated Payroll team are here to make sure that your payrolls run on time and can provide a tailor-made service for your business which includes:
• Employee pay slips
• Monthly summaries
• Departmental reports
• Dealing with leavers and starters
• Provision of analysis of staff costs
• Real Time Information (RTI) PAYE returns for the Revenue
• Assistance with automated payment set-up to your employees
• CIS returns completed by us
You will never have to worry about calculating statutory sick pay or maternity pay and dealing with student loan deductions ever again!
And at year end…
• Employee summary P60s
• P11D and P9D benefit and expenses returns
And beyond offering you a comprehensive payroll compliance service, we also offer advice on all employment tax issues including tax efficient remuneration strategies, planning for retirement, termination payments, inducement payments, company car and van strategies as well as benefits planning.
From specialist advice on auto enrolment to running your payroll, our dedicated Payroll team are here to provide you with a specialist service that will undoubtedly save you time and money and give you the peace of mind that everything is in order and fully compliant with the law.
To make sure that your payroll runs like clockwork, contact our Payroll team on 01450 372267.